Axpo's business areas
Axpo Services employees generally come under the Group functions and work in the areas of Finance or Management. They first and foremost support colleagues from the operational business. For Group functions the ability to respond to the requirements of internal contacts and provide advice with specialist knowledge and diplomacy is key.
As a financial specialist you ensure that Axpo’s finances are utilised and managed in an optimum way. The areas of operation include the following: financial controlling, accounting, treasury, risk management, taxes, insurance, financial projects and corporate information management. It’s essential to have an eye for detail as well as the bigger picture. Analytical thinking is a basic requirement.
In the area of Management you take on either a support function or an advisory function and provide both internal and external services. An entrepreneurial way of thinking is needed as are good communication skills. Areas of operation include: corporate development, energy economics, public affairs, HR, legal services and communications.
In addition to international energy trading, the Trading & Sales area develops products and services for its customers all over Europe on an individual basis tailored to their needs. Risk management plays an important role here.
As an analyst you develop short, medium and long-term trading strategies, working closely with traders and using market news, data and models. This requires excellent analytical skills, knowledge of quantitative methods and an ability to recognise significant trends early on.
As an originator you are based in a European country and turn the complex needs of customers in the energy sector into concrete products and tailored solutions. You are customer-oriented and always look for a solution that is suitable in all respects. You will have strong analytical skills, enjoy working with customers and be persuasive.
As a trader you trade on the various European trading hubs with a wide range of products over the entire time horizon (electricity, natural gas, oil, coal, biomass as well as CO2 and green certificates for energy from renewable sources). You will have the following attributes: excellent analytical skills, strong nerves and resilience, good self-management skills and the ability to assess risk.
The Assets area operates the power plant fleet (nuclear power, hydro power, gas, new energies) as well as Axpo's distribution grids. The business area also optimises the power plant fleet and invests in new power plant and grid capacity.
Operations is responsible for the safe, reliable and environmentally-friendly functioning of our power plants in the areas of large-scale hydropower and pumped storage, nuclear power, gas, small-scale hydro power, wind power, biomass, photovoltaic and geothermal energy.
As an engineer in new energies, hydro power or nuclear power you are responsible for the operation and maintenance of existing power plants and facilities, as well as for the planning and realisation of new projects. Axpo engineers are more than ever required to be innovative, open to change, technically skilled and to think and act in an exceptionally entrepreneurial way.
As a grid engineer you are involved in the operation, maintenance and construction of grids for Axpo and other companies. These tasks require basic electro-technical knowledge, a methodical approach and a strong focus on customers and results.
Requirements & Benefits
What do you need?
- Graduated or close to graduating
- Work experience as an intern or student employee
- Willingness to take on responsibility
- Initiative and motivation
- Innovative and creative ability
Please always take note of the job-specific requirements in the job advertisement.
What do we offer you?
- A job-specific induction programme
- Numerous opportunities for further development
- Attendance on our fascinating induction course and at the Axpo College (sector knowledge)
- graduate network "vernetzt@axpo" and related events
What are the advantages of direct entry@axpo?
- Take on responsible tasks early on
- Build up your knowledge of your specialist area
- Establish an interesting network within the company
- Find out about exciting entry-level jobs on our jobs portal and apply online.
- You can find information about the application process here.
What do you need as a potential Axpo trainee?
- Master’s degree with above-average academic results
- Curiosity and interest in a challenging environment and in a changing energy sector
- Some work experience as an intern or student employee, ideally in the energy sector
- Analytical thinking
- Ability to work independently
- Outstanding communication skills/sociable nature
- Self-assured and proactive approach
- Highly motivated
- Willingness to take on responsibility
- High degree of initiative and flexibility
As a trainee:
- You get an insight into various departments
- You take on important roles in small and large projects
- You gain valuable work experience
- You build up a company-wide network
- You attend our fascinating induction course and the Axpo College (sector knowledge)
- You are supported through a mentoring programme
- Your personal and professional development is supported through appraisals and seminars
- You are part of the trainee community and the graduate network "vernetz@axpo" and can attend various events.
Seraina Buchmeier, Trainee Production & Grids
At the moment, I'm working on an exciting project in Asset Management, where I can take responsibility and bring my own ideas to the table. For every project the requirements are a bit different and they need to be considered individually at the planning stage. But everyone knows that complex tasks are also the most interesting ones! I also really liked the variety on a daily basis and the nice atmosphere. The openness and helpfulness of Axpo meant that I could quickly settle into the world of work. I was also able to use my existing knowledge and to learn a lot more.
Georgios Chatzis, Trainee Trading
As a trainee in Energy Market Analysis, the team supported me with fundamental analysis of energy markets, and my tasks included short- and medium-term electricity price forecasts for central Europe and analysis of Swiss storage power plants. I also had the opportunity to use my quantitative strengths and knowledge of programming to help develop a price forecasting model and thereby make an important contribution to Axpo's position in the energy market.
Reto Ziltener, Trainee Corporate
The fact that I was involved in various areas of responsibility within the financial projects department from the start meant that I quickly got a good idea of various cross-departmental themes and processes at Axpo. I would say my growing understanding of contexts and challenges was a highlight for me personally. Colleagues in our team as well as my department head and mentor at the time, Ulrich Erkens, were always on hand to help.
Jobs are advertised every February/March Tip: Set up a job alert on our job portal so that you don’t miss advertisements.
Start of the trainee programme
The trainee programme starts each September You receive an individual and general induction programme. For more information, visit: start@axpo
Do you have any questions? Please contact us.
Students (Questions & Theses)
Please send us your topic proposal with CV and motivation letter by firstname.lastname@example.org
Taster training course
To apply, send your address and contact details to Ms Eleonore Lombriser. Please also state your desired career pathway and preferred timeframe in your email@example.com